Visa Regulations for Thailand
So, you’ve decided to visit amazing Thailand. Plans are forming, itineraries are being finalized and the mind is drifting to the many adventures that lie ahead. Before you pack the sunscreen and flip-flops, there’s one more thing to be taken care of: your visa.
In this article, we’ll lay out all the relevant information related to tourist visas in Thailand, so you can enter the country knowing exactly what is required.
Free Visa entry & VOA - Visa on Arrival:
Depending on your passport and where you are from, there are three options to enter Thailand that apply to most travellers who come for tourism or social purposes:
1. No Visa required (majority of countries - FREE entry, for stay not exceeding 30 days. Valid if entering via International Airport / 15 days if entering by land, can be extended if necessary)
2. Visa on Arrival (฿1,000 fee, extension of stay except in special cases)
3. Visa needed (apply abroad before arriving in Thailand)
Requirements for a Tourist Visa
- Passport or travel document with a validity not less than 6 months
- Visa application form (filled out)
- One(1) recent 4x6cm photograph of the applicant
- Round-trip air ticket or e-ticket (paid in full)
- Proof of financial means (20,000 baht per person/40,000 baht per family)
US $ 30.00 per entry or equivalent. The tourist visa fee is subject to change without prior notice, so it is a good idea to stay updated by visiting the nearest Thai Embassy or consulate in your area.
All visitors to Thailand must have a passport that is valid for a minimum of six months onwards from the date of arrival.
You will also need to prove to immigration that you do not intend to stay longer than your tourist visa allows. To do this, you just need a return ticket to your home country, or an outbound ticket for your next destination after Thailand.
Holders of normal passports of the following countries are granted visa-free travel to Thailand for a period of up to 30 days. The exemption is granted for a maximum of two times in a calendar year when entering over land or via a sea border, but there is no limitation when entering by air.
For Malaysians entering by land border, there is no limitation in issuing the 30-day visa exemption stamp. Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Chile will get 90 days whether arriving by airport or land border.
55 Countries allowed to enter Thailand under the VISA EXEMPTION RULE:
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
Nationals of the following countries may apply for Visa on Arrival, period of stay 15 days
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- The Philippines
- South Africa
- Korea (ROK)
Visa on Arrival:
According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 19 countries and territories may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for a period not exceeding 15 days.
The applicant must possess funds for daily expenses amounting to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family.
The applicant must possess a passport with minimum six-month validity and must present a fully paid ticket which is usable within 15 days from the date of entry.
Visa on arrival is provided at 42 designated international checkpoints. Applicants should submit the application form duly filled out and with their recent photograph (4 x 6 cm) attached. Since 27th September 2016, Thailand, by the order of the Ministry of Interior No. 30 B.E. 2559 (2016) dated 1 July B.E. 2559 (2016), increased the VoA fee from 1,000 to 2,000 THB.
Between 1st December 2016 and 28th February 2017, Visa on Arrival (VoA) was decreased from 2,000 THB to 1,000 THB, by the Order of the Ministry of Interior dated 30th November B.E. 2559 (2016). This applied to all citizens of the countries that are entitled to apply for the VoA at the designated immigration checkpoints.
Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay, except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau, Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 02 287-3127 http://www.immigration.go.th
42 designated immigration checkpoints to apply for the VoA:
- Suvarnabhumi Airport, Samut Prakarn
- Don Muang International Airport, Bangkok
- Chiangmai International Airport, Chiangmai
- Phuket International Airport, Phuket
- Hatyai Internation Airport, Shongkhla
- U Tapao Airport, Rayong
- Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
- Chiang Saen Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
- Chiang Khong Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
- Betong Immigration Checkpoint, Yala
- Sadao Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Samui Airport, Surat Thani
- Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
- Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
- Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi
- Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint, Rayong
- Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
- Samui Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
- Phuket Immigration Checkpoint, Phuket
- Satun Immigration Checkpoint, Satun
- Krabi Immigration Checkpoint, Krabi
- Songkhla Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Shongkhla
- Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
- Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
- Sattahip Habour Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi
- Khlong Yai Immigration Checkpoint, Trat
- Pong Nam Ron Immigration Checkpoint, Chantaburi
- Aranyaprathet Immigration Checkpoint, Sakaeo
- Mukdahan Immigration Checkpoint, Mukdahan
- Tak Immigration Checkpoint, Tak
- Padang Besar Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Su-Ngai Kolok Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
- Bueng Kan Immigration Checkpoint, Bueng Kan
- Phibun Mangsahan Immigration Checkpoint, Ubon Ratchathani
- Tha Li Immigration Checkpoint, Loei
- Nakhon Phanom Immigration Checkpoint, Nakhon Phanom
- Nan Immigration Checkpoint, Nan
- Ban Prakob Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Khuan Don Immigration Checkpoint, Satun
- Tak Bai Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Bukit Tal Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat